In most fanfics, Snape always goes on and on about Harry being just like his father, consented by Dumbledore, and has no regard for others' well being...
What if all of that were true?
- Harry is a ruthless prankster, and gains lots of enemies, and a few allies.
- Snape eventually realizes that Harry's attitude towards people is a self-defense mechanism. (Similar to Snape's, actually. "Make everyone hate me, so that I won't be hurt if they love me and leave me.")
- Dumbledore consents Harry's behavior. But Snape and the other teachers don't.
- Your job is to come up with a plausible reason for them to end up as adoptive father and son.
Harry's enemies and allies must be within the student body, and only CANON characters. No OCs accepted.
In many Severitus challenge takes, Lily sends a letter to Harry and Severus, telling them about how she erased Severus' memories, put powerful charms on Harry, and (sometimes) lied to James about Harry's paternity. She tells them she regrets it, that she would have told them the truth much sooner. She often says she loves Severus, and would have left James.
Of course, by then, she's dead. And we're to read what happens to Severus and Harry... But, what if she lived to deal with this?
- You pick whether Lily was single or already married to James Potter, when she became pregnant with Harry "Snape."
- Likewise, you pick whether James Potter knew or not.
- Voldemort is temporarily defeated by the Longbottoms. (Whether it's the parents, or baby Neville, it's up to you.) War is over!
- If you want it easy, you could kill off James Potter. (You still have Sirius and Remus to make things interesting...) But it's more challenging if James was still alive.
- Now, the point of the story, what you must write about, is this: Does Lily do as she intended to do in her letters? Does she tell Severus? Does she remove the charms on Harry? Does she tell James, if she hadn't already? Or does she wait until the time she intended to have the letters delivered? How does it all affect Harry, Severus, and James?
- No character bashing. No matter which one.
- No manipulative!Dumbledore.
- The Horcruxes must exist.
During HBP, in one of the many Voldemort Lessons with Dumbledore, the old man leaves Harry alone in his office.
Harry being Harry, accidentally brushes a lamp and a genie pops up. He (or she) tells Harry that he can make three wishes.
What will Harry wish for?
The story must somehow involve Snape.
You can either find inspiration from The Monkey's Paw (negative wishes), or Disney's Aladdin (positive wishes), or some in-between combination.
Summary: Dumbledore is behind the wizarding war. Harry may be the one to stop Voldemort, but Severus is the one to stop Dumbledore.
Dumbledore and Voldemort are not friends. Dumbledore allowed Voldemort to come to power so Voldemort would kill off those who would stand up against him when he tries to take power.
No R rated material allowed.
Summary: Wizards had spotted Harry before his return to the Wizarding World. What if one had seen the abuse and reported it to someone who can (and does) make a real difference?
(For example: a photographer sees it and reports it to the paper, a citizen sees it and reports it to Law Enforcement, etc.)
Summary: During the the summer after his 4th year Harry leaves the house and takes a bus somewhere after his aunt tells him to leave the house for the day. Harry meets Tobias and becomes friends. Tobias hasn't seen his son in years after leaving him and his mother.
Tobias wants to fix his relationship with his son, but is afraid of rejection. Harry not knowing his last name encourages him to and finds out his potions teacher is his son.
Severus runs into Harry and his father.
Summary: This is out of curiosity on my part more than anything else...Write a fic (length doesn't matter) that, in some way/shape/form, incorporates the song 'Makin Whoopee' by Ella Fitzgerald. You can incorporate it thematically, have it sung by a character, use it to set a mood...whatever floats your boat. Overall narrative should be determined by the author. Be creative!
As Harry goes up to Dumbledore's office after the Final Battle at Hogwarts, he is surrounded by bright, white light.
When he opens his eyes, he is on a bed at St. Mungo's. He is greeted by a Healer who tells him that his parents will arrive soon, now that he is finally awake.
Indeed, James and Lily Potter arrive, along with a 7-years-old boy, and a 4-years-old girl: Harry's little siblings.
The Potters are absolutely happy to have Harry back. After all, "he" had been in a comma for the last 10 years, after the family was attacked in Godric's Hollow, in Halloween, 1981. That's right, Harry is now 11 years old!
Harry decides not to tell his parents that he isn't really their Harry. For now.
- Peter is still friends with the Potters! Good Uncle Wormy!
- Severus Snape has been in Azkaban for the last 10 years, for a crime he didn't commit. He claimed he's innocent, and didn't get a trial.
- Dumbledore and Voldemort died in a fierce battle, 10 years ago.
- Lily forces her family to spend several special days with the Dursleys, every year. Though the Dursleys are still uncomfortable with magic, they are way more tolerant than in Harry's world.
- Neither Ron or Hermione know him, so Harry either has to befriend them all over again, or make new friends.
- There is a sense of uneasiness in this world, and Harry doesn't quite understand why that is.
What will happen?
- At some point, Harry will have to help Snape. Will he do it alone? Will Harry need someone's help?
- Will Harry ever get used to his "new" family? Will he ever tell them he's not from around?
- What is Snape accused of? Who framed him? Or did he really commit the crime?
- Is Peter really a good guy in this world? Or is he plotting something?
- Is Voldemort really dead? Or, for that matter, Dumbledore?
- Was there a prophecy? Or not?
I have given you plenty to think about. And, I'm sure you'll come up with interesting, different things! I love AUs, as you've probably seen (if you follow my challenges, at all).
Summary: What if being the "Very Best School of Magic" as Hermione once described it meant that Hogwarts was actually a really good school? (Living professors, professors who act professional and fair, etc.)
Summary: In Harry's 1st year harry finds out he was stolen from his real parents his brother happens to be Lucius Malfoy the parents are still alive harry real name is different the potter's are alive with two older children the potter's treat harry with love harry stays with Severus while the courts case is on. the potter's eldest is the boy who lived harry at first is in Grifindore who most turn on him except for Ginny,the Weasley twins,Neville,and his adopted brother and sister so he is resorted end up in slytherin harry is really a girl descised as a boy by the person who stole her and the potters adopted her from a magical orphanage/children's home
Summary: In which Snape and Harry bond and find common ground over a hobby or interest they discover they share. Could be anything: reading, horseback riding, tattoos, flying, stargazing, painting or drawing, for example. What the hobby/interest is and when the story takes place is the writer's choice.
Summary: Snape apparates somewhere with Harry coming side-along. They apparate through a previously unknown set of wards that changes one or both of them physically (i.e. de-aged, turned into an animal, changed gender, etc.). Writer's choice what the change is. Inspired by my favorite theme in Star Trek stories - the transporter malfunction.